Balfron campus provides much more than a daytime school. It is an outstanding community facility which is open for 14 hours a day 52 weeks of the year (excluding Bank Holidays), offering the whole community unrivalled opportunities for lifelong learning, sports and leisure facilities and arts and cultural activities.
The school has been designed with curriculum and ecological principles in mind, developed from a teaching and learning perspective. It has seven flexible multi-purpose areas adjacent to learning blocks and a central indoor atrium where school and community activities take place. The sports area is a welcome addition to the school's facilities and the local community.
People are able to have a swim in the 25m pool, use the new basketball courts and flood lit football pitches or exercise in the new, fully-equipped fitness suite. The theatre and atrium are used for a wide variety of community and social activities.
Balfron High School grew out of the old Parish School of Balfron, which can be traced back to the 17th century. In the early years of the 20th century, there was a strong desire in the local area that there should be a school, which could provide a full secondary education for the whole of West Stirlingshire. In 1919, the school became an intermediate, or "Higher Grade" school, and additional building took place. In 1925, it was upgraded to a full six-year secondary school and the name changed to Balfron High School. For 125 years, the main school buildings were situated on a rather restricted site between Cotton Street and Roman Road.
In August 2001, a new building was completed, providing the young people of West Stirlingshire with a school, which has already become a benchmark for school buildings of the future. Under a private funding initiative (PFI) agreement, Stirling Council leases the school from SGP, who manage the facilities. The school will become the property of Stirling Council in 2027.
Balfron Primary School serves the village of Balfron and the surrounding rural area. The present building was opened in 1981 to replace the old local primary school. A three classroom extension and nursery was completed in September 2003. The school is also part of the high school campus and we are able to enjoy access to some of the facilities. The grounds have been extensively developed in the past four years in partnership with parents and children and supported by the Parent Council and the community.
Balfron Nursery is part of the Primary school, and offers places for 3 - 5 year olds during term time.