The man who gave his money and his name to Balfron’s Village Hall was something of an enigma. John McLintock was born in Balfron and lived at the foot of the village in Abbotsford with his wife Betsy and two children, Polly and Jenny.
His family had a confectionery business in Glasgow but it appears he did not go into the family business but instead dealt in stocks and shares. He has been much praised as a benefactor and entrepreneur; but according to his only surviving niece he met with mixed reactions from his peers. Perhaps it was John McLintock’s very generosity which engendered suspicion. As well as financing the building of the Hall, he also established the bowling green at the bottom of the village and, on his death in 1930, left money in a fund for the poor of the Village and to hospitals in Glasgow.