Community Council Meeting – 1st June 2017

Image may contain: text

Here’s the agenda for Thursday’s Community Council meeting at 7.30 in the High School, which will be preceded by the AGM at 7pm. BCC also be discussing possible community uses for the ‘Bunker’ building below the shops at 151-159 Buchanan St.

The Chairman, Colin Cameron, be in Doyle’s on Thursday morning between 1030 and 1130 for anyone unable to make the evening meeting.

Balfron Surgery

Balfron Surgery

Address: 41-47 Buchanan St, Balfron, Glasgow G63 0TS
Phone: 01360 440515
Prescription line: 01360 449558

Balfron surgery appointment system:
•  Monday to Friday mornings are ‘drop in’ sessions, with no booking required. You just join the queue and see whatever doctor is available.
•  Afternoon bookings – you can to book a time slot to see a particular doctor.

•  The QOF database

John McLintock Trust

In October 1917, John McLintock wrote to Rev George Turner, Minister of the United Free Church of Balfron at that time, outlining his plans for the continuance of his mother’s charitable work in the parish.

Mrs Turner had been in the habit of distributing groceries to ‘necessitous persons in Balfron Parish and District’.  The John McLintock Trust (JMT) was established to continue this charitable giving.

In 2003, the Trust had around £1,000 of its own funds to distribute each year.  At that time, the Church added another £500 from its funds.  It became the custom to distribute coal instead of groceries, and then, with fewer coal fires, this was replaced by electricity vouchers.  However, with so many receiving their electrical supply from different companies, payment was made in cash that year.

Life has moved on since 1917, and the situation with regard to welfare is now very different.  The Trust had in 2003 a beneficiary list of around 50 people, who each receive £30.  This left nothing for those who could benefit from a more substantial sum that would make a real difference in time of difficulty.

Public Notice November 2014

Following a review by the Trustees of the John McLintock Trust, the arrangements outlined below have been agreed for the fulfilment of the aims and objectives of the Trust.

In recent years, all available funds have been expended in making small annual payments to individuals. The trustees wish to ensure that assistance can be made at other times of the year. They have therefore reviewed the levels of giving to ensure that funds are available so that ‘in exceptional cases assistance from the Fund may be given to necessitous persons…at other times’, while maintaining annual payments to a small number ‘of necessitous persons in Balfron Parish and District’.

The trustees are committed to ensure the confidentiality of the business it conduct. The Trustees are the Kirk Session and three members of the Congregational Board. A small sub group decides the allocation of payments.

Recommendations for financial support should be made to the Administrator Ian McVean, Helenslea, Buchanan Street, Balfron, Glasgow G63 0TW. or the Minister the Rev Sigrid Marten. Details can also be passed in a sealed envelope marked John McLintock Trust to members of the Kirk Session.

John McLintock Hall

John McLintock Hall
John McLintock Hall

Situated at the corner of Buchannan Street and Dunmore Street, The McLintock Hall – more correctly, the John McLintock Hall, is decribed as the ‘social heart of the community. Given to the village by John McLintock, an investor who made his wealth dealing in stocks and shares, rather than from the family confectionery business. He shared his wealth with the community of Balfron by establishing the Bowling Green, by setting up a grant making charitable trust and by facilitating the building of a new public hall.

Further details can be found in the Mclintock Hall website. The Hall hosts a variety of regular activities, from dancing to embroidery, from Brownies to yoga. Details of these are available in the Hall website.

Local Support Services


Balfron Area Registration Office Recycling and waste disposal Balfron Library
Council Tax/Rents/Rates collection, Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages.
Tel: 01360 440315
Click for details
Click for details Photocopying, internet access.
Tel No: 01360 440407
Justices of the Peace Balfron Campus John McLintock Trust
New details awaited.
Stirling Sheriff Court
Tel: 01786 462191
The Campus encompasses the High School, the Primary school and the Nursery School. In addition, the High School building also contains leisure and recreation facilities.
Read more…
Normally, the McLintock Trust distributes a small grant to around 20 beneficiaries annually. However, in the case of an emergency, applications for financial assistance from residents of the parish may be considered.
Read more…
MEPs MP MSP
We are represented by eight MEPs. Details can be found at www.europarl.eu.int Steven Paterson
Tel: 01786 406375
Bruce Crawford
Tel: 01786 471899
A further seven MSPs represent Mid-Scotland and Fife. Details can be found at www.scottish.parliament.uk  
Local Councillors Tourist Office Community Council
Alistair Berrill (Con)
Tel – 01786 233123
Graham Lambie (SNP)
Tel – 01786 233116
Ian Muirhead (SNP)
Tel – 01786 233117
Tel: 01360 660068
Web: www.scottish.heartlands.org 

 

http://balfroncc.org.uk/

Balfron Community Council

The Community Council is a body consisting of local residents, who meet on a monthly basis to discuss and progress issues affecting the local community, and represent the views and concerns of the Balfron residents to Stirling Council and other relevant groups.

There are two Community Council notice boards in the village – one outside Doyle’s café, and the other by the car park at the Co-Op. On these notice boards you’ll find the Minutes of the last meeting; the date, location and agenda for the next meeting; and other information affecting the community. Minutes and other correspondence are also available in Balfron Library.

•  Meeting Agendas>>>
•  Meeeting Minutes>>>

Website: http://balfroncc.org.uk/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Balfron-Community-Council/109373095753018?sk=timeline ;

Balfron Campus

Balfron campus provides much more than a daytime school. It is an outstanding community facility which is open for 14 hours a day 52 weeks of the year (excluding Bank Holidays), offering the whole community unrivalled opportunities for lifelong learning, sports and leisure facilities and arts and cultural activities.

The school has been designed with curriculum and ecological principles in mind, developed from a teaching and learning perspective. It has seven flexible multi-purpose areas adjacent to learning blocks and a central indoor atrium where school and community activities take place. The sports area is a welcome addition to the school's facilities and the local community.

People are able to have a swim in the 25m pool, use the new basketball courts and flood lit football pitches or exercise in the new, fully-equipped fitness suite. The theatre and atrium are used for a wide variety of community and social activities.

Balfron High School grew out of the old Parish School of Balfron, which can be traced back to the 17th century. In the early years of the 20th century, there was a strong desire in the local area that there should be a school, which could provide a full secondary education for the whole of West Stirlingshire. In 1919, the school became an intermediate, or "Higher Grade" school, and additional building took place. In 1925, it was upgraded to a full six-year secondary school and the name changed to Balfron High School. For 125 years, the main school buildings were situated on a rather restricted site between Cotton Street and Roman Road.

In August 2001, a new building was completed, providing the young people of West Stirlingshire with a school, which has already become a benchmark for school buildings of the future. Under a private funding initiative (PFI) agreement, Stirling Council leases the school from SGP, who manage the facilities. The school will become the property of Stirling Council in 2027.

Balfron Primary School serves the village of Balfron and the surrounding rural area. The present building was opened in 1981 to replace the old local primary school. A three classroom extension and nursery was completed in September 2003. The school is also part of the high school campus and we are able to enjoy access to some of the facilities. The grounds have been extensively developed in the past four years in partnership with parents and children and supported by the Parent Council and the community.

Balfron Nursery is part of the Primary school, and offers places for 3 - 5 year olds during term time.

Websites:
Balfron High school
Balfron Primary School