This congregation originated in the same circumstances as the Relief Church mentioned above. The persons who had been connected with the Secession Church would not join in the movement for a Relief congregation but insisted upon having a place of worship in their own connection. They therefore applied to the Associate Burgher Presbytery of Stirling for a supply of sermons, which was granted in 1798. The Church was built in 1800.
The print–field, which had drawn so many work people to Balfron, was removed after a time to Campsie. The population of the place decreased and, shortly after the minister’s death in 1821, the Secession congregation became extinct.
Source: Annals and Statistics Of The United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873.
Places of worship
Balfron Relief Church, later United Presbyterian c1793-c1847
Holm of Balfron General Associate Secession, later United Presbyterian Church c1739-c1880