When the parish and church of Balfron became vacant in 1730, there was great disagreement about who the new minister should be. Some of the parishioners withdrew from the Establishment and adhered to the Associate Presbytery. A minister was eventually settled and a church was erected in 1739.
A new church was built in 1790 and another in 1861 on the banks of the Endrick river. The minister and the majority of the congregation adhered to the General Associate Anti-burgher Synod at the Breach in 1747.
In 1752, a portion of the congregation resident in Kippen parish broke away and built a place of worship in Buchlyvie. The minister went with them and the Holm congregation called a new minister.
Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary of Scotland 1851, states that there was a United Original Succeeder congregation in the parish, and this is likely. They later united with the Balfron United Presbyterian Church, formerly the Relief Church, in 1880.
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873.
The story of the turbulent times of the church in the 18th century are told in a pamphlet, Balfron Church 1303-2003, by Alexander Primrose.
The United Presbyterian Church removed to Balfron in the late 19th century setting up ‘the South Church‘.